At a recent board meeting held in the space, Daquanna described her efforts to emulate Academy of Hope's success in a "one room schoolhouse":
I've tried to bring the best aspects of Academy of Hope here. From the time I spent getting oriented at the main site I could tell instantly that things like announcements, school store, field trips and personal reminders would be essential when building a learning community that works for students.
The following is a wishlist of items to help fill out the new space:
- A set of 20 calculators for use on the practice GED
- Sponsorship of our school store.
- A mini-fridge, for school store items and staff/student use.
- A highly operable desktop computer for our AmeriCorps intern to use in the Fall.
- Medium sized (4x3) dry erase board for announcements and homework updates.
- Smartpasses/bus tokens/metro passes to support our summer/fall museum/historic DC field trips.
Look for an update on Ward 8 in this Summer's newsletter.